Vacuum deadlocks? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From eric soroos
Subject Vacuum deadlocks?
Date
List pgsql-novice
I've got a reasonably busy system that logically needs vacuum on a better than daily basis, at least in a couple of the
tables.There are times when the traffic is lower, but they're not necessarily predictably overnight, as there are some
longrunning processes that people like to start as they leave in the afternoon.

I'm running 7.2.1 on OSX 10.1.5 (dual 800, 768 megs of memory, the machine is serving as app/db/webserver) using Mark
Liange'spackage from entropy.ch. an upgrade is planned, but he doesn't have newer packages for < 10.2, and I'm not
planningto upgrade to 10.2 on this machine quite yet.

Every so often (perhaps 1 time in 50) the vacuumdb -a --analyze command will deadlock the system, so that the clients
showa status of either 'starting' or 'async-notify', or 'idle in transaction'.  This happened roughly every other day
whenI had vacuum running from an hourly cron, once a week from the every 3 hour cron, and now it's happened a couple of
timeswhen I run it just after backups.

What am I doing wrong here?  Is this a known issue for older versions? Or should I be running the vacuums in a
differentmanner?

eric

What am I doing wrong here?